Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday! The Sound Of Silence

Hello to anyone who makes it here from the wordpress blog, this will get you up to speed-
I first became aware of the message ' Warning: We have a concern about some of the content on your blog. Please click here to contact us as soon as possible to resolve the issue and re-enable posting.' on 26th January 19:00GMT, I have sent four messages through the linked reply form and one through support, as of this date I have received no reply and the restrictions remain on my blog. I am posting this as a topic to try and force some resolution as clearly the established route is failing.
YES I used the linked reply form linked in that message.
YES I have checked my spam folders for admin messages.
I have no idea what the issue is although as I blog on human rights and abuses of power quite often, sometimes with an irreverent satirical approach that might have a bearing. Also in the week Tony Blair gives evidence and Aafia Siddiqui is on 'trial' in NY this has silenced me at an important moment. For those unaware of the English legal landscape this blog post by former ambassador Craig Murray (who resigned from the UK Government because it endorsed the use of torture) will give you an idea of the censorious climate-
http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2010/01/47_nil_47_nil_4.html

Of course this might have nothing to do with such issues, but as it is Friday and the restrictions were placed sometime on Monday/Tuesday and I have yet to receive a reply from WP it is not unreasonable to take this measure to elicit some response.

That is a forum message I have posted tonight, I am completely in the dark about this, all I know for sure is I cannot at the moment author new posts to my wordpress blog, instead of 'Publish' the button says 'Submit for Review' I have sent one post to that on Tuesday, it has yet to appear on my blog.
Anyways, it is Friday and I hate to miss one so take it away fellas-

6 comments:

Thinking....... said...

Could it be you said something bad about Israel. If so they would go after you and have your blog suspended or removed.
Jewish Internet Defense Force
http://www.thejidf.org/2008/10/help-remove-antisemitic-network.html
They also have
Honest Reporting targets the press,
NGO Monitor targets Human rights organizations like Amnesty International or Red Cross even,
Camera targets academics, press or even their own,
All of them send thousands of e-mails letters etc to stop anyone from talking about Israel.
Even their own news agencys target other Jewish organizations.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/135710

Unknown said...

At present I have no idea, I don't know if I'd be important enough for hasbara merchants to bother with me in that way. We shall see what we shall see! (if Wp ever get back to me)

Jotman said...

Sorry to hear it's still not cleared up yet. I have posted about your situation:

http://jotman.blogspot.com/2010/01/censorship-wordpress-silences-uk.html

Unknown said...

Thanks Jotman, especially for the kind words in your post. Much appreciated. I would like to get this cleared up but for that I need WP to come to the table, I do think it is a mistake for them to restrict a blog and not say why and not to answer emails readily. It might be something utterly inconsequential, but if it is free speech matter they are really not covering themselves in glory so far.

Anonymous said...

I put this on your twitter stream last night about WP's 'Terms and Conditions'... Have you seen this bit?

"We do not contact you first to ask that content be modified or removed"...

How strange and odd of them! Obv. that is about content and you don't know why they have done this, they should have something like a 'code of conduct' which includes WP's obligations such as contacting person within x hours (not making the person having to languish for days not knowing why)

And you have probably seen this re their 'support' and suspending blogs

http://en.support.wordpress.com/suspended-blogs/

Possibly WP, rather like Tony Blair, 'Non, je ne regrette rien'....

Unknown said...

Thanks Harpy, well it is lifted and no explanation so far, a glitch? or did they think better of whatever issue they had. But yes, their procedure is not right, they really should contact first and discuss rather than just drop the hammer and not respond to emails.